In reviewing Plated and Hello Fresh, there were five areas that I compared cost, website, ease of preparation, freshness of food, and tastiness. Then from an overall perspective.
- Cost: Hello Fresh
- The cost comparison is pretty straight forward; per plate, Hello Fresh is $11.50, whereas Plated is $12.00. While that is only a 50 cent difference per plate, it does add up to a three dollar difference overall. So while not a huge gap, Hello Fresh does come out the clear winner here.
- Website: Plated
- The overall experience with both the Plated and the Hello Fresh websites were pleasant ones, easy to use, understand and complete the actions needed to create an account and start a subscription. While using these sites, I liked to the look and feel of the Plated site due to the fresh interface in which the recipes are presented. Very dynamic and eye catching in my opinion.
- Ease of Prep: Hello Fresh
- Although Plated has more individually wrapped and identified ingredients, Hello Fresh has the ingredients put together in three separate bags, which I felt made things easier. I also felt that the Hello Fresh recipe cards better spelled out what steps to take when. Though the Plated recipes were also pretty easy to follow, the overall difficulty just seemed to be a little higher.
- Freshness: Hello Fresh
- The freshness of the ingredients are a very important aspect of these subscription boxes. That being said, in my opinion Hello Fresh had better freshness overall. The produce, lamb, and shrimp were all very fresh and would be the quality that I would pick if I were to go to the grocery store to pick up ingredients myself. Whereas, with Plated there were a few items that I was a little disappointed in its freshness and quality. The produce a little wilted, bruised or otherwise less than perfect. Though the seafood was probably the nicest piece of pollock I’ve seen in a long time.
- Tastiness: Hello Fresh
- The overall Tastiness of the recipes for me went hands down to Hello Fresh, while Plated was also good, it wasn’t as good as Hello Fresh in my opinion. I do think the freshness of the ingredients, the ease of understanding the recipes, and the simplicity of the recipe had a lot to do with this choice.
- Overall: Hello Fresh
- With the cost, ease of prep, freshness, and tastiness going for it, Hello Fresh is a great option.
In the Plated vs. Hello Fresh debate, I would choose Hello Fresh. The flavor, ease, and options put this over the top for me, and lastly, the price made this a better option. I felt that Plated tried a little too hard to ensure its recipes were unique and a little more gourmet; and while I enjoyed them. This isn’t something that I would want to do regularly. I will definitely be ordering with Hello Fresh again in the near future. Although, it may not be something that I do weekly, it will be something that I use from time to time when life gets hectic, or I am in a cooking rut. I enjoyed the recipe options and the quality of what was sent. The overall ease of use made my evenings easy, and carefree.
If you would like to try either of these subscription food boxes, you can find my referral links below. With each referral you will receive a discount on your first week subscription. Both subscriptions can be canceled at anytime.
Hello Fresh – www.hellofresh.com Referral Code – QTNGAN
Plated – https://www.plated.com/invites/2575b1
This review is my opinion and my opinion alone, I purchased both subscription boxes with discounts I found online.